When event management professionals consider what kind of technology to use for their events, many automatically think about smartphone apps. However, they are generally not the best choices for conferences. Instead, text messaging allows for more widespread and easy participation.
1. Text messaging data allows information to be available to everyone at the event.
Apps only work on smartphones and not everyone has a smartphone. But most people do have a cell phone. When you text live in real-time, you can reach everyone with a cell phone, regardless of the kind of phone.
2. Text messaging uses automatic confirmation messages to inform participants that their messages have been received.
While many apps use confirmations, they often take time to appear. When event managers use text messaging, however, participants who send text messages to the group using the group’s short code receive an automatic confirmation message to affirm that they’ve contributed.
3. Text messaging enables seamless communication between attendees and event organizers.
When text messaging is used, messages are received quickly, easily and automatically, so organizers know what participants are thinking or have questions about. And the best part is that organizers can immediately respond, satisfying their participants.
4. When organizers use text live, communication is available across phone types.
Smartphone apps must be developed for all operating systems. Texting can be used on any OS.
5. Texting services do not require app store approval like apps do.
Getting an app approved for sale in an app store is often a lengthy process that requires review by multiple phone providers. Event organizers who use texting live and in real-time can do so immediately.